We are your voice!
We are at work on possible legislation for the 2024 legislative session. Want to know more? Join our committee.
2023 Legislative session:
- Infrastructure funds were at the forefront again. We fought along with others to successfully move the money forward.
- Summer study on Property Tax structure and tax burden. We were actively engaged with this committee.
2021 Legislative session activity:
Background Checks: SB141: provide for the automatic removal of certain marijuana convictions from a background check record.
- Boiler: HB1011: $10 increase in inspection
- Housing: SB92: require that certain proposed rules include an affordable housing impact statement
- Real Estate Commission: HB1002: revise certain provisions regarding fingerprint-based background checks. And HB1014: establish uniform complaint procedures.
The 2020 Session was a success.
We worked diligently to produce a bill to streamline the eviction process in South Dakota. HB1067 passed the House with only 3 nay votes, then onto the Senate where we had 5 nay votes. We did have an amendment on the Senate side, so went back to the House, where we had 1 nay vote. Governor Noem signed the bill into law, to be effective July 1, 2020.
HB1067 is a HUGE win for residential rental property owners and management companies in South Dakota. The changes will reduce expenses to properties and to the residents.
Other bills we were watching that could impact our industry:
HB1123: Revise provisions regarding termination of a lease by a victim of alleged domestic abuse: Governor Noem signed.
HB1246: Revise the attorney's fees allowed in a retaliation action against a lessor. Governor Noem signed
SB176: Provide for the seizure and holding of real property as evidence. Governor Noem signed
In 2018, our legislation brought about new laws that pertained to Service/Companion/Emotional Support Animal Verification. Specifically it states that all verifications for Service/Companion animals shall come from a "medical provider that is within the State of South Dakota".
Please keep in mind that you must follow Fair Housing Laws, but the verification, per state law, needs to come from within South Dakota.
Want to be more involved, contact Denise at 605-336-7756.