We have a number of our members that also own/manage commercial or mixed used property. So we put together some information that pertains specifically to commercial property and tenants.
Information is changing rapidly, and we will update as quickly as possible on our website, www.sdmha.com.
- Safety is the number one priority for everyone.
- Maintain a healthy work/home environment. Learn what that means here.
- We are a people-driven industry and your tenants will expect customer service.
- Be prepared to shift and pivot policies/procedures as necessary.
- Notify all staff of any policy changes.
- Notify suppliers and vendors of any policy changes.
- Technology is your friend during this pandemic.
- Hand Sanitizer stations, disinfectant wipes. Check them often to ensure they are still in place and are full.
- Deep Clean more often
- If a staff tests positive, close office for day and deep clean, sanitize office
- Close building or individual offices to limit person to person contact
- Close common areas.
- Communicate with your tenants and vendors on policy changes
- LEASE CLAUSES to address potential tenant business disruption
CONFIRMED CASE IN BUILDING:
- Notify tenants and vendors of a confirmed case and the potential risk. Of course, do not disclose further details.
- Contract for deep cleaning/sanitizing of building
- Continue to use hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes
BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLAN
We are a service industry and must be there for our residents and tenants. So how do you operate during any crisis or tragedy:
- Cross train staff
- Backup systems in place
- Software and cloud storage for data
- Work remotely plans for staff
- CDC Websites: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Best Cleaning Practices: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/cleaning-disinfection.html
- World Health Organization: who.int/
- NAA Website: naahq.org/coronavirus. Includes best practices, regulation updates and other resources specific to property management
- Answers to frequently asked questions: https://www.naahq.org/sites/default/files/naa-documents/disaster/coronavirus_webinar_faqs_3-13-2020.pdf
- IREM Website: irem.org/learning/coronavirus
- SDMHA Website: sdmha.com
- For Business Owners: Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act. For business owners negatively impacted by COVID-19. Affected small businesses and nonprofits need to download, complete, and submit this SBA EIDL Worksheet and Instructions to expedite activation of the Economic Impact Loan Disaster program. Complete details at:
- https://news.sd.gov/newsitem.aspx?id=26516April 15 Tax Deadline: filing date is still April 15th, tax payments can now be deferred until July 15, 2020. Read more: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwHMPmTRXLDnqpQDNkrRqDTdplf